What I like about Knoppix is that it can be used live without depend on harddisk. It is also can be installed to harddisk easily. It is also ca be remastered to become something I like. I like to introduce KLampU remaster from Knoppix 5.1.1. to become LAMP server. You can’t download it but you can have it by doing below steps. Preparation:
- Knoppix LiveCD – 5.1.1 recommended.
- PC with 8GB harddisk partition in Linux filesystem (ext2, ext3 reisfer) for development space, 1GB partition for swap and complete with CD drive. Unless, you want to remaster in VMWare. You can use Knoppix in ISO file.
- Uninterrupted internet connection.
Knoppix remaster script saved in development
space. You get have it from here or try to google it.
- Boot Knoppix CD until finish and get into console wether in X-Windows or outside as root. Make sure the PC already connect to internet. Check it by pinging to a server in the internet.
- Mount the development space and make a new development directory #mkdir knx-remaster
- Decompress remaster script in development space. You also can get the script by downloading it right now.
- Go to script directory. #cd remaster_0.1 and run
#./knoppix-remaster (development space) .Refer to this link http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_with_Menu_Based_Scripts
- You will be asked to make new remaster or not. Click YES. It will ask you the development directory. Click OK after you choose the directory. It will copy whole directory from root directory to development space. A menu will appear after copying finish.
- Click CHROOT to become root in development directory. At this stage, you can modify whatever setting, installation, uninstallation, and changing. Remember, you want to have a LAMP server, rite?
- If you were not German, please change the language in
the environment. #LANGUAGE=en and #LANG=C or #LANG=en_US . Please refer to this link http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_debian_lamp_server for the next steps.
- Run debian package update #apt-get install update
- Run debian package database update #apt-get update
- Start web (apache) server and PHP installation. #apt-get install apache2 php5 libapache2-mod-php5
- Database (mysql) server and its module. #apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client php5-mysql
- Install PHPMyAdmin for mysql administration in the web. #apt-get install phpmyadmin
- Install ftp server #apt-get install proftpd
- I like you to install rc configuration utility for setting up daemon startup. #apt-get install rcconf
- This kind of installation will make the ISO file to become approximately 800MB more than normal CD space. You need to uninstall unwanted package like Open Office. #apt-get remove ttf-openoffice openoffice.org-debian-menus openoffice-de-en
- At this stage, you also can test your installation. Don’t forget to make apache and mysql to start at startup by running rcconf. #rcconf
- After finish your modification, exit. #exit
- Click “create compressed fs” This will take a very long time to finish.
- Then, click “create isofs” It will make ISO for CD.
- Done. Burn the ISO and boot it.